June 20, 2012

I am shocked.....

Today I am shocked for a few reasons;

1.) I dislocated my shoulder in august of 2010 and had surgery in January 2011. Since then I have had some issues with it whenever i go to do pulls ups =(  (which REALLY sucks because those have always been my favorite to do and my motivation! Now I am physically unable to do them due to my injury) 

It usually swells really bad after i sublux it (partial dislocation). Today during boot camp I was demonstrating an exercise, subluxed my shoulder but it did not swell or get inflamed like normal. Yes, it is tender but NO inflammation. I swear this is due to the whole30 way of eating. I have read about how certain foods you consume cause your body to become inflamed easier, I am a strong believer of that now.

2.) I had a little break down last night and stole shared a bowl of oatmeal, chocolate protein powder and peanut butter with Wyatt (it's his bedtime snack to fill him up all night!). I wasn't happy with myself and do not have an excuse for doing it expect that i kind of REALLY wanted it. To my surprise it did not taste as good as it normally does (honest, the natural PB even tasted sweet to me which is ODD). 

I could REALLY tell that it makes my body feel bloated and icky just like the sweet potato fries did to me. I didn't expect this to happen because I have always considered this a "safe" snack. I am shocked how much your body can tell you if you really listen to it after eating whole foods. 

3.)  I am shocked that my urges to binge on foods have been getting easier and easier. I am feeling more in control of my cravings and self control (besides my urge last night which i DIDN'T binge). This is new to me. I have always had a love/hate relationship with food and my body. 

When i was adopted at age 9, my adopted parents had junk food all over. I used to steal candy bars (babyruths were my favorite) from my adopted dads stash all the time, eat them as fast as I could and as many as I could. Which slowly developed into an eating disorder called bulimia at age 13. I guess you could say I struggled with closet eating also. Especially once I got into the fitness field. I would be embarrassed to eat unhealthy and try to hide it which led to even more struggles with my self image and food. Also there were are SO many mixed messages on food I didn't know what was REALLY healthy and what wasn't. 

My nutrition books told me protein bars and white rice were healthy (bullish*t). SO here i am reading and learning as much as I can, only for the next certification or seminar I would go to tell me something different. I was all mixed up and I honestly believe the only thing that saved me was my love for exercise and eating what i considered "healthy" outside of my  disorder. 

Once I found out i was pregnant the disorder subsided  because I was so focused on growing that little boy strong and healthy. Afterwards I breastfed for year until my shoulder surgery then had a couple months of self doubt and depression. I soon started being able to workout again but still had some issues here and there with binge eating and bulimia. (not nearly as bad as the past). 

It has always been in the back of my mind like a silent struggle. Once i started truly eating healthy, whole foods I can tell you i have not had one single thought of a binge. I do not believe that eating disorders are genetic or because of a persons past like i used to believe. I can see now it is all a pattern and habit your brain forms. Once you are able to realize you need to fuel yourself with healthy, real, whole foods your body and brain will not feel the need to rely on the junk and binges. 

Why I just shared all this I am not sure... I guess that's why they call this a blog.... 

Alrighty then today was pretty awesome as far as food choices. 

Breakfast: Eggs and sweet potatoes (yum! I never get tired of this combo!)
Lunch: A delicious salad with sliced ham (off the bone) veggies, 1/2 avocado and balsamic and salad vinegar. 





















Dinner: AWESOME! 
Sautee red onions for 5 minutes 
Then add ground turkey
After 5 more minutes add:
chopped bell peppers, broccoli, mushrooms 
Let it cook together until meat is fully cooked and veggies are a little soft.
Then add spinach and garlic to cook down along with natures seasoning and Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herbs. 

I allowed about 7 minutes here.

Then topped with avocado and ENJOYED! 















Ok it's WAY past my bedtime! I was a little chatty tonight! My hopes is that it will inspire you to take on the challenge of eating whole foods with me for 30 days and into the rest of your life. Even if it is one meal at a time. No matter who you are or where you are at in life it is NEVER too late to make yourself healthy. It all starts with your next bite of food. 


Keep yourself Healthy, Fit, and Fabulous!!
*Lallenia*

2 comments:

  1. Lala, I had no idea about some of this! I am completely thinking of you and sending you strength, love, and support! If you would like a book that is helping me, pick up Soul Revolution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin!!!!! I will check out that book for sure!!

      Delete