January 26, 2012

I KNOW my ABC's... how about YOU??

Hi Hi Hi!!!! yes it has been a while since i have posted....I do not really have much of an excuse but rather an apology! Haha, my problem is i want to post blogs all the time because i feel like there is so much to share that i get overwhelmed and then don't do it.... hmm... sounds like something i need to work on yes? Anyways here is an article (vent) about the food pyramid i wrote for a health class this week,... please give me your thoughts on this topic!!! 

I KNOW MY ABC's..... HOW ABOUT YOU??

 The food pyramid has been taught in schools for almost 15 years now. Yet the Western World is more obese than ever! My guess is this means something is not right about this kind of teaching….. I understand that the western society has been increasingly sedentary since the evolution of video games, big screen TV’s, meaningless reality shows, and computer social life. But let’s be real here… that all reflects back to just plain laziness! There is a major misconception about the food pyramid and exercise. Not many people want to approach that issue because it involves changing their lifestyle.   

 I see from an article on cnn.com that they are changing the food pyramid again, which, in my opinion, is much better than the last one. It still is just general and does not really TEACH people what and why they are eating what they are eating. Don’t you agree that when you know why and how to do something you are more inclined to do it?

“How many carbs do I eat?”
“I feel like when I eat more pastas, cereals, and breads I gain weight faster…. Don’t you?”
“What is a carbohydrate anyways?”
“If I’m supposed to cut back on fat why do all these health nuts (pun intended) tell me to eat more whole eggs and coconut oil??”
“How do I get rid of body fat?”

 These are very commonly asked questions by many people. Yet when they turn to the food pyramid for answers it tells them a general answer that is not necessarily going to help a person reach their health and fitness goals. So then what do they do? Listen to the media, listen to celebrities who are PAYED to promote a product, and pay all this money for pills, powders, shots, and JUNK that is going to leave them out of money, frustrated and possibly hurt their health even more!



 I know this because I have been there done that, tried it all and I see it EVERYDAY! This really frustrates and irritates me to no end! Why in the world does the government invest all this time and money into healthcare instead of health prevention programs? Think about this, if the government were to hire people to work at schools who are very well trained in fitness and nutrition (the ones who practice what they preach not just go buy a certification and go home and eat Cheetos all day). Make it a mandatory program where the students actually have to learn and get graded on assignments (not just play dodge ball or watch a PowerPoint). Don’t you think maybe they will learn something that will stick?

 I know how to spell, add, subtract, cursive writing, my ABC’s, the 50 nifty united states (& 13 original colonies), and so much more because the teachers/government MADE me and HELPED me learn…. Why not teach the children about what to eat and how to eat at a young age? After all this is when a person’s brain is developing and learning. Not only will kids retain this information but it is ESSENTIAL for them at this age to be eating a very healthy diet to help their brain and body develop strong. 

Why not set our society up for success to grow strong and healthy minds and bodies through what we put into our body? I honestly think this would solve SO many health issues! People will be able to enjoy their lives more, have more confidence, and want to work for a government that takes care of them and helps them. Then maybe, just maybe we might be proud to pay our taxes to a government who wants us to succeed and be happy…. But then I guess that would cut back on all the billions of dollars they make off of your prescriptions, doctor visits, medical complications…

 Works Cited
Agriculture, U. S. (n.d.). USDA Choose My Plate. Retrieved from http://www.choosemyplate.gov/: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/
Park, M. (n.d.). Plate icon to guide Americans to healthier eating. Retrieved from www.cnn.com: http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/06/02/usda.new.food.plate/index.html

 

No comments:

Post a Comment