August 15, 2012

Small successes will equal BIG results =)


Tuesday 8-13-12
Workout in the morning!
Preworkout was one of my homemade Protein bars and coffee...yum!!!

Shoulders are my weak point. This is due to surgeries on both of them. Left one when I was in Mississippi playing basketball. I went to catch the ball from a hard throw and my shoulder suffered a partial dislocation which resulted in surgery. Needless to say I stopped playing after that.
 The other was from slipping on a boot campers sweat 2 years ago where my shoulder slipped out in front of me.

You know, I used to feel sorry for myself but then I realized, No way Lallenia! This is a GREAT learning experience for you and especially anyone you train. I strongly believe the reason my shoulders were so weak (besides me breast feeding at the time of one of them which doubled my chances of dislocating it!) is because when I used to lift in High School no one taught me how to lift to strengthen my muscles, tendons and ligaments... it was all just lift as heavy as you can. No one taught me how to lift properly, and how to strengthen stabilizing muscles as well as my major muscles. I will not get too in depth with the muscles but as you can see in this diagram there are many little muscles that need work just like the bigger muscles =)

Shoulder and Arms 
I always start off my workouts with shoulder strengthening exercises.
Scarecrows are one of my favorite to start off with. 3-4 sets of 12 reps (Keep strict form at 90 degree angles in each arm.)
Supersets:
4 sets of 4-8 rep range
Clean and press 55lb x2, 65lbsx2
Upright rows 45lbs, 55lbs, 60lbsx2

Push Presses 45lbs, 55lbs, 60lbs x2
Lateral raises 10lbs x4times

Seated DB curls 20lbs
Triceps kickback 17 1/2lbs

Cable curls 50lbs, 60lbs
Triceps Press downs 60lbs, 70lbs 

Cardio was in the evening with 25min of sprints up my hill by my house =) Growing that booty baby!!! 
But oh man do I miss my running!!! Especially during this weather! Argh... it drives me nuts not to just go for a nice 4-5 mile run with a breeze and fresh fall smells.... I keep telling my self only 11 weeks! Another goal of mine is to run a half marathon so next challenge will be that =) 


I know my workouts aren't very exciting. Many people may be thinking oh she's a trainer I bet shell be doing some cool crazy stuff.... sorry to disappoint! The best way to build muscle and strength is through consistent training, pushing yourself to get stronger each time you lift (with correct form!). Yes, you can do that with crazy exercises also but I am not about to get injured again, my focus is to keep increasing my weights and intensity. You'll see... I'll get great results! =) 

My diet was pretty close to right on again!
I have been obsessed with sauerkraut, sweet potatoes and ground beef... YUMMY!
Seriously myfitnesspal is the BEST!!! (and free!)


Wednesday 8-14-12 
A day that started off on the wrong foot but had ended up making me proud. 

My alarm was set for 3:45am...I pushed snooze. Woke up at 4:45 just in time for boot camp. That won't be happening the closer it gets to Nov. 3rd don't worry! 

I did AMAZING with my nutrition and was craving a PB&J sandwich after my son had one this morning. So i had this along with a protein shake and it turned out to be the perfect little meal as far as fats, carbs, and protein!! I was EXCITED! 
What we have here is a PLAIN rice cake,
ONE tablespoon natural PB,
 ONE tablespoon sugar free preserves. Delish!

 I have been measuring out 2-3 oz of sweet potatoes because i love them so much! Weird I know but i really enjoy them with chunks of meat. I have found if I do a little bit at a time I get to have them 3 times a day opposed to 2 times. As it gets closer and if i am not receiving the results I am aiming for i will change it up to exactly what the meal plan calls for. Rice cakes are another option in place of starch. i really like them  for tuna! Quick, delicious and simple meal preparation, great for school/work. 

Ok so here's where it was rough... i already ate my post workout meal. My husband made a ham and cheese roll up for my son and him after he was off work. Then he had to leave because he had another call. My son asked if i wanted a bite I said no thank you. Then he said "my mommy need one,"... so I took one... then ended up eating the whole thing because he gave it to me.

 I know many of you are thinking and so what? Well, for me, recovering from a binge/purge type eating disorder that's deadly. I am one of those ALL or nothing type personalities, I started freaking out in my head. At that moment my brother walks in with PIE from Village Inn.... REALLY??? how does that work?? Of course he offers me some. I decline but then he leaves and puts it in the fridge.

Here i am stuck on the house with pie in the fridge and already "ruined" my dinner because it wasn't on my plan. At this point I am battling in my head and am nervous. I get up, open the fridge, pull the pie out and grab a fork. Open the container, took a look at the chocolate, caramel slice... and told myself... "you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you. Since you cannot seem to tell yourself NO or STOP then ask for help. Do this for the people who are cheering you on. Do not sabotage yourself just because you want the taste." 
Not kidding I said ALL those things to myself and put it away. I grabbed some jerky to snack on to keep my mouth busy but not add crazy amounts of calories.

I will tell you even if this seems like such a little accomplishment... it is these little accomplishments that will make the big difference in reaching my goals. Besides the final numbers for the day weren't all that bad. The ham and cheese wrap did not take me on a detour  where I couldn't find my way back.

I was only up 82 calories and my carbs were 30grams higher =( but I'll take it!
 Couldn't imagine what the pie would've made it! eeeeek!


Workout today was LEGS!
4 sets of 4-8... ok not for all of them but that WAS the plan. 

Squat- 95lbs, 115lbs, 135lbs x2 sets of 4. 
Backward lunges- 35lbs 8 reps each leg 4 times through. 
Wide leg Stiff legged Dead lifts- 55lbs... form focus 2 sets of 10 reps
1 leg dead lift- 55lbs 2 sets of 8

Then my husband came in and said let me see your squat. So I showed him my 135lbs 5 times. He said I needed to get deeper. SO i dropped the weight to 95lbs and did 2 sets of 10 deep squats.... lets just say my butt is numb as I type. I'm scared to wake up and move in the morning. I wanted to keep going but my legs were shaking. 
It was a little random because I was interrupted but I can't complain. He kicks my butt and knows how to keep me motivated. =) 

I went to bed tonight proud of myself for having control and confidence, instead of regretting eating a piece of pie or going back to old habits. I really believe you just need to tell yourself you can do it and believe in yourself no matter what your goals are. 

The take away for today:
Workout the stabilizer muscles... don't ignore the ones that assist the bigger ones or you're setting yourself up for injury!

You don't have to do crazy workouts to get awesome results! As long as you're getting stronger, have great form and are challenging yourself, that is what matters and you will get results.

Celebrate the small successes, when the battle starts in your head always listen to the side that will give you a positive outcome and help reach your goals. You do not want to live your life wishing you had control. It's up to YOU to take that control! 



Keep yourself Healthy, Fit, and Fabulous!!
*Lallenia*



No comments:

Post a Comment