April 20, 2013

Detoxify me PLEASE!

It's Wednesday at 2:06am and here I am coughing and wheezing my way to the bathroom for some tissues to blow my nose for the 139,402 time.

Urgh..... i have to be up at 4:30am so going back to bed is almost pointless because I will be way to nervous that I will sleep through my alarm.....Unfortunately since I'm the fitness instructor I do not get the privilege of that! 


What do i do?? Hang out with my good friend google search engine.... yes the one that tells you everything you need to know about your symptoms and how to cure them right? 

I either have...... Bronchitis, a cold, asthma, Gastroesophageal reflux disease (what?)Acute sinusitis, allergic reaction, upper respiratory infection, and a few hundred more possible medical conditions. 

I really do not like going to the doctor unless I HAVE to. I totally believe in Hippocrates - "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food"

While i am lying around (NOT typical Lallenia at all!) one of my clients keeps telling me i need to watch this "Hungry for a Change" documentary. So I found it on Netflix and watched it... (along with all the other food documentaries available... NERD alert!)




AWESOME documentary! Of course it's a bit of a scare tactic in a sense to wake people up and make them realize we are not eating the way we need to. My husband watched it with me and even HE was pretty enthralled (let me remind you he grew up on Rotella's bread, white potatoes, cereal, and juice from a container). Actually, HE is the one that went to Whole Foods to get all the ingredients to start juicing and for the 3-day detox I wanted to try. 

I've been wanting to try a detox for a while now. I read so much about it and have yet to take action on it. So I did finally! 
Here's the diet: 

  • UPON RISING - Ginger Lemon Detox Drink
  • BREAKFAST - Super Detox Green Juice (or optional Super Simple Green Drink)
  • MID MORNING SNACK - Cucumber, Celery & Carrot Sticks
  • LUNCH - Sushi Salad (or optional green salad)
  • AFTERNOON SNACK - Activated almonds
  • DINNER - Potassium Balance Soup
  • DESSERT - Chia Pudding
  • AFTER DINNER - Calming Chamomile Tea



    http://www.hungryforchange.tv/article/3-day-detox-plan
    ^^Here is the website with the recipes it came from.

    I figured since I'm not feeling well and cannot workout for a while due to the upper respiratory infection AND I get 4 teeth pulled this Monday... this would be the perfect time try this!

    As of right now (Friday afternoon) I feel pretty good! I still am coughing and wheezing  a little but i feel like I am on my way to feeling better. Just in time to get my teeth pulled yay! (can you feel the sarcasm?)

    Thursday I felt pretty good all day until around 4:30pm I got really hungry and light headed but I told myself i will be ok. Make the soup for dinner, I am not starving... I will be fine. Over and over again in my head I repeated this so I didn't go crazy and eat off the plan. I even taught my cycle class (i couldn't find a sub)... although I didn't feel as strong I still did it!

    A little overview of the meals:

    LOVE the ginger lemon drink in the morning! (sorry no pictures of that)

    Green drink:
    Red apple
    Celery
    Parsley
    Kale
    Cucumber
    Lemon (yum)
    then after it was juiced added some spurlina powder.
    This was all that was juiced


    Really it wasn't that bad!!! 











    I really like the juice! The lemon helps make it a little sweet... and there is something to be said about feeling good drinking the stuff dontcha think?

    I was able to snack on cucumbers, carrots and celery if wanted.

    Now lunch....
    HA! This was a different story.....

    hmmm...... 











    This "sushi" salad didn't taste like much of a sushi salad to me... Ok So I MAY have burned the seaweed, put too much ginger in the dressing and my avocado was too hard to use.... but I ate it... twice now!

    Behind the sushi salad is my "activated" almonds. I soaked them over night... they were a little mushy but I can feel that they digest differently for sure!

    Dinner I made the potassium balance soup. (no pictures again.. I'm slacking I know!)
    This was ok. Not a lot of flavor but again I feel so healthy eating it I really cannot complain!

    My favorite (which looks gross disgusting) is this chia seed pudding.... YUM!
    Coconut milk, chia seeds, honey, and cinnamon. (Full recipe is in the link for the detox.)
    mmmmm yummy!!











    Almost taste like tapioca pudding.... almost. My little man loves it! So does my big man!
    Side note**  If you're wondering, my husband didn't do the detox BUT he's drinking 2 green drinks a day and so is my little 3 year old boy!! (MAJOR mommy and wifey bonus!!!!!!)

    SO far I feel a little light headed here and there but really not bad... even without my eggs and grass fed  meat.....I MISS you dearly!

    Saturday evening:

    I am really glad to see people have different view points of nutrition. I think it's important people keep an open mind about it.... but when you think about it... it's common sense to eat more vegetables and fruits isn't it? It just makes sense. Has anyone ever told you otherwise?
    Right! Me either!... so why don't we do it?
     Maybe we do not know how... or maybe no one really forced us into it. If you're an adult now guess what??... YOU are in control of this! (yipee!)

    Maybe people think it's too expensive..... no way... being sick miserable and not feeling confident and strong is going to cost more than choosing vegetables and fruits over cereal and granola bars.
    I found this great little blog explaining it really well! If you're one of those that thinks that way!
    http://www.couragetobehealthy.com/2013/01/eating-healthy-expensive/

    For me I always felt like i eat pretty healthy.... but i do struggle with portion sizes now and then. Sometimes when I choose to eat a "cheat' meal it's a CHEAT meal (like 2-3 pieces of cake). That's just silly... WHY?
    I think about it... and I realize it's a habit from my growing up. I CONSCIOUSLY need make it a habit to portion out my meals, not eat while I am cooking and STOP after 1-2 bites of a piece of sweet disastrous  junk food if i chose to go there.

    I was raised on junk food and lots of it so it's not yet a habit to stop when I am full or eat slow. I am still learning! Some people never realize they can change their habits.... it takes time and the desire to WANT to change them before they are changed.

    When I got sick this week it was kind of my wake up call.... like my body is not being nourished the right way somehow so I did this detox for a few days to help me feel better. I DO feel better! Still coughing a little and a little wheezing but I can tell I have more energy!

    I made it 2 1/2 days on the detox.... movie theatre popcorn got me (i did only eat a few handfuls though!).

    The crazy thing.... I lost 4lbs! I wasn't really doing it to lose weight i just wanted to feel better but that tells me my body has lots of toxins it needs to get rid of! It wasn't like i was starving myself.... this meal plan was not super low on calories so I really believe it was just build up in my gut.....I am sure you wanted to know that.... but I am a BIG believer that health begins in your gut...

    My take away about detoxing.....
    I LOVE it! I feel like detoxing gives you a sense of control, confidence and its a nice little reset for your body!
    But if your mindset isn't prepared it can be extremely hard.... you have to remind yourself you're NOT starving..... you can do it. Once you start feeling the difference it can make in a day or two you will feel so great and it will motivate you to keep going or do it again when you feel you need it. Even if you slip up a little bit just get back on it....

    I really want to keep the juicing a part of our daily lifestyle because not only is it a quick way to get vital micro nutrients into our system but my husband loves it too!
    See the middle text ;-)

    I know these documentaries REALLY push vegetarian/vegan lifestyle... I still am not sold that we aren't supposed to eat meat. I most definitely believe we aren't supposed to eat meat that is full of hormones and that is overly processed.

     I have come to the conclusion with all these different diets, meal plans, and detoxing plans... there is a point when we just need to use common sense and have a balance of exercise, eating smaller portions, and occasionally resetting our body when we've have a little bit too much junk in it.

    They key to getting and staying healthy, fit, and fabulous is to eat everything in moderation, stay active doing something you love, and be happy to be alive! We seem to make it ALL to complicated don't we?

    Wish me luck on my teeth being pulled Monday..... (scared face insert here!)

    Keep yourself Healthy, Fit and FABULOUS!
    *Lallenia*


    No comments:

    Post a Comment